USAFE Football
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Playing fields

+5
siouxfan
Cris Morales
Hahnhawk#60
rcausey
jm3245
9 posters

Go down

Playing fields Empty Playing fields

Post  jm3245 Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:04 pm

[b]In your opinion who had the BEST football field when you played...I am partial to Sembach back in the day the field was between two sets of high bleachers..almost as if you was playing in a ditch at times hahah but man what a gerat place to play ball.. Very Happy
jm3245
jm3245

http://www.wfob.com

Back to top Go down

Playing fields Empty USAFE Football Favorite fields

Post  rcausey Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:36 pm

I have to agree with Sembach AB being a great place to play football. I did not play there but officiated there. I called High School Football when I was stationed at Ramstein AB 1995 - 1998. I only visited a few CSC Stadiums. As for the UKSC. Maybe I'm partial and showing some home cooking but RAF Alconbury Spartan Stadium was a nice place to play. Never had the pleasure to play at RAF Mildenhall. I drove by it on occasion. Honorable mention goes to RAF Upper Heyford.
rcausey
rcausey

http://www.robcausey.com

Back to top Go down

Playing fields Empty Playing Fields

Post  Hahnhawk#60 Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:03 pm

I gotta say Ramstein was probably the nicest setup with Sembach a close second. Of course the best place to play by far was CNA, it was always a sure win and one heck of party!!!

Hahnhawk#60

Back to top Go down

Playing fields Empty Re: Playing fields

Post  Cris Morales Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:07 pm

Hahnhawk#60 wrote:I gotta say Ramstein was probably the nicest setup with Sembach a close second. Of course the best place to play by far was CNA, it was always a sure win and one heck of party!!!

Glad you liked playing us Wolfhounds when they weren't very good! Heck, I remember how we hosted the then 1st year Wolfhounds in 83 or 84 at Rhein-Main and they damn near beat us and the following year we played there and they were winning the game for most of the day but we some how pulled it out! It wasn't for lack of talent that the early Wolfhound teams sucked, just a numbers game! We would have what seemed like twice the players they would have! Even when I played for them we always seemed to have just around 35-45 guys to the other teams 60!

As for the sure win, I was honored to play the final 3 seasons of USAFE football as a Wolfhound and I can tell you now, NOBODY came into our house and beat us! In fact I don't think any team in the CSC or UKSC can boast about going to CNA, which by the way did in fact have the best damn playing field all around, and marking it down as a win in 92 & 93! There wasn't another field in all of USAFE that could compare to the pristine condition of the Wolfhound playing field! Now it sucked that it rained a lot during many of those games, but as far as it being a field you loved to play football on, it never got muddy, unlike Sembach's field or Spangdahlem's or Bitburg's, or Ramstein's did! Cold and wet, sure, but we could maintain our balance while playing football which is all that mattered!

At any rate, long story short, we had the best playing field in the entire USAFE and I'll go out on a limb here and also lay claim to our home record being unmatched by anybody those final 2 seasons! WE JUST DIDN'T LOSE AT HOME! The party was always the same, but the game, the team, and the sport just got better and better and better!

I'll never forget the turn around cause in 91 we won all of 3 games all year! 92 and 93 we played the Rams and the Rockets in the playoffs both times losing on the road but never hung our heads in shame!

It was laughable to watch the disdain and confusion of all the big teams making their yearly trip up to Holland thinking it was gonna be a cake walk! LOL! But we layed an ass whoopin to anybody we played at home! Didn't lose once at home those final 2 seasons! Bet no one else in USAFE can say that!
Cris Morales
Cris Morales

Back to top Go down

Post  siouxfan Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:40 pm

I remember Chicksands playing Sembach in either 81 or 82 in football and losing the game. The score I can't remember (old) but I do remember walking down all the steps to play the game and walking back up after losing. Beautiful place to play football and all the people stationed at Sembach made the players, staff and coaches feel more than welcome. It was a great time and even better memory. God Bless all my USAFE friends!!!

siouxfan

Back to top Go down

Playing fields Empty Sembach Field

Post  jm3245 Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:42 pm

What you may or may not know but under the home side bleachers at Sembach was a command post...I will never forget the time the base commander appeard during a game and at half time fired the whole coaching staff Smile

My first 2 years in USAFE I was stationed at New Ulm but I was permissive TDY to Wiesbaden in 74 and 75 to play football...I will never forget my first experience playing for the Flyers.We warmed up and there was about 20 people in the bleachers and I thought what the hell is this about??? BUT when we came back out (we came out under the bleachers in those days) the place was packed!!! That was my first taste of USAFE football
jm3245
jm3245

Back to top Go down

Playing fields Empty Nice Topic

Post  HiltonChretien8 Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:32 am

I played with RM 90-92. Some how we never played at CNA when I played. I did hear that they had really nice turf though. If I had to choose from the stadiums that I played, I would have to say Sembach. Not because of the turf but because of the setting. To me it was truly a stadium type setting. Where as all others were like fields with bleachers. Man I miss those days.

HiltonChretien8

Back to top Go down

Playing fields Empty Sembach

Post  KMC Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:20 am

It's great to hear about all of your memories playing football here in USAFE. It's a shame that Services has done away with a lot of the sports programs because of budget cuts. Sembach AB is now called Sembach Kasearne and belongs to the Army now. The field is still there, but doesn't look the same as you all remember it. Only one side of the bleachers remain and from the sounds of your posts it must be the visitors side. The football posts have been removed and I believe the field may only be used by the youth programs now. I've added some pictures of the F-86 that was on a pedestal near the church and Shoppette. My squadron has been tasked to remove it and transport it to Ramstein AB to refurbish it and have it displayed near the new Kaiserslautern Military Community Center (BX/PX/Mall). Anway, thanks for starting this web site up and keeping the memories alive. My father, William R. Campbell, played USAFE football in the late 50's until he retired in 75'. Played for Rhien Main, Ramstein, and Alconbury.
Karl M. Campbell

KMC

Back to top Go down

Post  jm3245 Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:36 am

Hey any chance you can post some pics or pic of he football field??? Or E mail tem to me???

jm3245@yahoo.com

Thanks Jim fro Ohio

Wiesbaden Flyers 74 and 75
Sembach Tigers 76
jm3245
jm3245

Back to top Go down

Playing fields Empty Best Football Field

Post  bigrod Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:40 am

Now I am prejudice with my pick since I played at R-M from 68-71. The field was crowned and may have been the only one like that in Europe. The setting was not spectacular as it was just bleachers not like Sembach's canyon which I enjoyed. The field conditions were always great since we were not allowed on it except for walk-thrus on Friday and Saturdays games. The field was also rolled with Civil Eng street roller.

bigrod

Back to top Go down

Playing fields Empty Best Field...?

Post  elmotillar Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:39 pm

Sloppiest field was Chicksands 1986
Best field... Bitburg in September... George Price had that field looking like a gold course...!!!!

Elmo "E.T." Tillar

elmotillar

Back to top Go down

Post  siouxfan Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:47 pm

elmotillar wrote:Sloppiest field was Chicksands 1986
Best field... Bitburg in September...  George Price had that field looking like a gold course...!!!!

Elmo "E.T." Tillar
From 80-83 I thought RAF Chicksands was one of the better fields in England (my opinion)! During those years the team was not the best but they gave their all!!

siouxfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum